How often do you enjoy a good stretch?
Remember when you’d wake in the morning and, without too much thought for the process, have a satisfying stretch?
Chances are, it’s been a while.
With the increased busyness of our lives, along with the practice of setting an alarm, allowing just enough time to launch out of bed and hurriedly go about getting ready, luxuries like enjoying a pre get-up stretch are quite simply forgot.
So…here is a simple, though most effective, whole body stretch.
This stretch may be performed just about anywhere at anytime and takes only about 2 minutes. How good is that!
- Stand tall and take a few deep breaths. Inhaling for a full expansion of your lungs, holding for a few seconds, and then releasing the breath fully.
- a) Raise both arms above your head and reach to full extension. b) Now rise up onto the balls of your feet and extend the stretch that bit more. (If you find it difficult to balance, just do 2a).
- While your arms are still raised, hold the back of your right hand with your left hand and lean your body over to your left side as far as possible. Now, using your left hand to gently pull your right arm, increase the stretch a little more.
- After returning to the upright stretch position, repeat the previous step, though to the opposite side.
- After again returning to the upright position, bend forward and reach down toward your toes. Try keeping your back as straight as possible throughout this stretch in order to maximise the stretch to your hamstrings and back.
- After returning to the upright stretch position, hold your hands together as in step 3, now lean back as far as you can, keeping arms fully extended. Hold this stretch for a moment then return to your starting position, lower your arms and take a deep breath.
There, you’re done. Now tell me if that doesn’t make you feel so much better!
The beauty of this fantastic whole body stretch is, as previously mentioned; it can be done basically anywhere you have room to stand.
I often perform this stretch while waiting for the toast to cook or jug to boil. Even during a short break in a Team meeting at work. Also, it is a beneficial stretch to do prior, during and after exercise.
So…start doing this great stretch at least once each day and feel the amazing benefits.
Founder of Superyou4life